M*Modal Launches Catalyst Suite
As published by Speech Technology Magazine
Product provides infrastructure for large-scale deployment of NLU applications
Clinical documentation services and speech understanding solutions provider M*Modal has unveiled the M*Modal Catalyst family of cloud-based applications.
The company said that the solutions enable healthcare decision-makers to extract actionable information from unstructured medical documentation, regardless of how that data was created, and combine it with structured data contained in electronic clinical systems. The company also announced the first two applications in the M*Modal Catalyst suite, M*Modal Catalyst for Quality and M*Modal Catalyst for Radiology, built on the company’s proprietary cloud-based Speech Understanding platform.
“M*Modal Catalyst uniquely positions us to assist providers in immediately revealing and extracting meaningful, actionable data from narrative text,” said Vern Davenport, chairman and CEO of M*Modal, in a statement. “Every day, healthcare professionals are faced with clinical, financial, and quality-related decision-making. The right decisions would be more apparent if all medical documentation could be accurately assessed based on the true meaning embedded in the clinical narrative.”
The majority of a healthcare organization’s data is captured in a traditional narrative or unstructured form, including dictated notes from the doctor-patient encounter and other sources, according to M*Modal. With M*Modal Catalyst, hospitals, physician practices, and managed service organizations can quickly retrieve and assess information in their unstructured data, and make it immediately useable, actionable, and shareable with providers across the organization.
M*Modal Catalyst offers customers:
- Visibility and understanding of key clinical concepts often lost in traditional documentation, such as patient fall risk factors, dietary practices, and causes of events.
- Delivery via the cloud, allowing for greater flexibility and scalability to the whole enterprise, along with greater ease of use and access anywhere, anytime, on any PC/workstation.
- Speech recognition and natural language processing in one, single contiguous process, offering greater understanding and enhanced collaborative intelligence through tools for data annotation, feedback, and sharing.
- An open solution in which all medical documents, regardless of vendor, can be searched and used, allowing for question-answering of both narrative and structured data sources.
- Content plus context; critically important capabilities since keyword searches are extremely limiting and potentially inaccurate if not applied in context, as no two physicians speak in the exact words in the exact order.
- Support of a broad spectrum of standard medical vocabularies for seamless interoperability with other systems in order to deliver unprecedented clarity and insights.
- Applications prepackaged to address specific needs for improving clinical or financial processes for patient safety, Meaningful Use, critical findings, and other quality and radiology-specific reporting requirements.