M*Modal Launches New Medical Documentation Suite
As published by ADVANCE for Health Information Professionals
M*Modal, a provider of clinical documentation services and Speech Understanding solutions, has announced the M*Modal Catalyst family of cloud-based applications, enabling healthcare decision-makers to extract actionable information from unstructured medical documentation, regardless of how that data was created, and combine it with structured data contained in electronic clinical systems. This new suite of solutions is designed to make full use of the untapped meaning contained within clinical documentation to improve the quality of patient care and better inform financial practices. Also announced are the first two applications in the M*Modal Catalyst suite, M*Modal Catalyst for Quality and M*Modal Catalyst for Radiology, built on the company’s proprietary cloud-based Speech Understanding platform.
“M*Modal Catalyst uniquely positions us to assist providers in immediately revealing and extracting meaningful, actionable data from narrative text,” said Vern Davenport, chairman and CEO, M*Modal. “Every day, healthcare professionals are faced with clinical, financial and quality-related decision-making. The right decisions would be more apparent if all medical documentation could be accurately assessed based on the true meaning embedded in the clinical narrative.”
The majority of a healthcare organization’s data is captured in a traditional narrative or unstructured form, including dictated notes from the doctor-patient encounter and other sources. Until now, healthcare organizations have been severely limited in their ability to access, beyond searching for keywords, the real context and meaning behind a physician’s observations. This has hindered organizational efforts to uncover medical findings for more accurate reimbursements and improvements at the point of care. With M*Modal Catalyst, hospitals, physician practices and managed service organizations can quickly retrieve and assess this information in their unstructured data and make it immediately useable, actionable and shareable with providers across the organization.
M*Modal Catalyst offers customers:
- Visibility and understanding of key clinical concepts often lost in traditional documentation, such as patient fall risk factors, dietary practices and causes of events (e.g. collapsed lung due to medical procedure complications).
- Delivery via the cloud, allowing for greater flexibility and scalability to the whole enterprise, along with greater ease of use and access anywhere, anytime, on any PC/workstation.
- Speech recognition and natural language processing in one, single contiguous process, offering greater understanding and enhanced collaborative intelligence through tools for data annotation, feedback and sharing.
- An open solution in which all medical documents, regardless of vendor, can be searched and utilized allowing for question-answering of both narrative and structured data sources.
- Content plus context; critically important capabilities since keyword searches are extremely limiting and potentially inaccurate if not applied in context, as no two physicians speak in the exact words in the exact order.
- Support of a broad spectrum of standard medical vocabularies such as SNOMED-CT, LOINC and RxNORM for seamless interoperability with other systems in order to deliver unprecedented clarity and insights.
- The only infrastructure for cost-effective, large-scale deployment of natural language understanding applications.
- Applications pre-packaged to address specific needs for improving clinical or financial processes, such as CDI, PQRS, patient safety, Meaningful Use, critical findings, and other quality and radiology-specific reporting requirements.
M*Modal Catalyst for Quality helps healthcare executives, administrators and physicians drive actions that improve documentation quality and assists the organization in achieving Meaningful Use compliance. M*Modal Catalyst for Radiology allows radiology organizations or departments to identify clinical information within radiology documents to drive compliance and quality. More applications within the M*Modal Catalyst product family are expected to be announced in the coming months.
Recently, M*Modal has announced its M*Modal Fluency family of clinical solutions to enable healthcare organizations to electronically capture patient stories for reimbursement via its Speech Understanding technology. M*Modal Catalyst then drives intelligence from this information, as well as from other medical documents. This previously static information is now useable and shareable to fully inform medical actions by presenting information to physicians and other stakeholders in the right context and at the right time.